Welcome to my Photo Blog

Welcome to my Photo Blog
Jayden - In A Sweet Spot of Childhood

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

2nd Canon EOS60D Review

I was really keen to experiment with the Canon EOS60D again and so I decided to call up Regina and Eric who gamely agreed to be my guinea pigs! Eric even called up his friend Chin Hooi to bring his bike and so I was able to have some interesting biker shots! Isn't it wonderful to have such sporting friends who are willing to be victims?? *flashes wide smile*

Since I had no time to do a day shoot, I decided a night shoot would be best. I've also always wanted to experiment with street-light shooting and I thought a good venue would be in the neighbourhood! With the nice yellow lighting from the street lamps, it provided a great place for me to take some night shots.

My favourite photography subject will always be first and foremost, people. In normal instances, I would use my 50mm f1.8 lens for portraits but I decided to give the 18-200mm lens that came with this model a try.

In fact, I only used this zoom lens throughout the entire shoot which was quite a nice change, knowing that I didnt have to keep changing lens because I could change the focal length anytime I wanted!

It was also the perfect time for me to test the high ISO setting that the Canon EOS60D offered and it worked beautifully. Believe it or not, these pictures below were taken with the 18-200mm lens at ISO6400. I decided to stretch it to the extreme and the noise is barely visible in the pictures. You can even increase the ISO via the ISO expansion to *gasp* 12,800.



I was still able to take some nice shots despite the high ISO i used.

Playing around with different angles as seen in the photos below for that different edge.

I also decided to play around with the white balance setting to cool things off. This gave the photos a blue tinge instead of the glowing yellow lights from the street lamps.




And of course, I gave the articulating LCD a spin throughout the shoot as well for different angles.



The next thing I wanted to try was the integrated speedlite transmitter and this was pretty fun and easy. I used the EOS60D to remotely control my 580 EXII flash which was set as a slave with both the camera and flash in the same channels. Eric helped me to hold the flash from different distances to have various effects.

As you can see from the first picture below, the shadow is quite strong for a more moody look while the second picture has more light on Regina's face.



I really had a fun time during this second shoot and I must thank Regina, Eric and Chin Hooi for being such great models! I was also continuously laughing throughout the shoot because they had to pull off these poses while wheeling their bikes up and down! I'll end this post with a shot of Regina leaping in the air that describes my sentiment on this review, "wheeee!"

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the 2nd review. The photos are very impressive. After reading many reviews from the 21 reviewers, the 60D did not impress me. I will hold on to my 550D and 7D. The creative filter feature reminded me of the Olympus E series DSLR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Kiah! Yeah, if you already have a 550D and 7D, that would probably be good enough! I have a 450D so it is pretty tempting for me! Thanks for visiting my page too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 1000D and I planned to upgrade to a 50D. Now that 60D is on the market, I might as well change my mind as long as its within my budget. Anyway, thanks for the review. The photos are really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, glad you enjoyed the review and the photos! Always nice to engage with other people about photography. Yes, it looks like a good upgrade and i'm sure you will enjoy it as much as i do.

    ReplyDelete